There are many meetings and contests where one can meet fellow knife- and axe-throwers. Throwzini has an overview of the meetings in the United States, while we cover Europe primarily. (If you know of any meeting, please send us an email.)
The largest event in Europe has so far always been the Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship.
For many competitions, the standard European Knife and Axe Throwing Rules are used.
Do have a look at the photo impressions in our reports on past meetings.
If you are interested in "throwing" a meeting in your country, or are just curious, join the Eurothrowers mailinglist.
The association European Throwing Club "Flying Blades" (Eurothrowers) is a central sports throwing source. Among other things, they published a best-practice handbook on how to organise throwing competitions. To find more sports community websites, turn to our knife throwing web directory.
This calendar is about knife throwing, and axe throwing - that is, tomahawks and other small axes. Should an event be about axes with two blades, this is marked by "double bit".
Please remember that before registering for an event, you need to check which hygienic rules or restrictions apply on site.
Due to covid concerns by town officials about international participants, there will be no World Championship in 2022. But fret not, there are two teams in France and Germany just waiting for covid to calm down to organise a real EuroThrowers World Championship - hopefully already next year.
- 2nd to 3rd of April 2022, Return of the Muck, Costessey (near Norwich), UK
Organised by the Norfolk Flingers;
- 23rd of April 2022, Spring Competition, Kamenice, Czech Republic
Organised by W-Club; Kamenice is halfway between Brno and Prague;
Details in the Czech calendar
- 21st of May 2022, 6th Slovakian Championship in Knife and Axe Throwing, Banská Bystrica, Slovakia
The Slovakian national Championship is again going to take place in Fort Geronimo.
- 27th to 29th of May 2022, Championnat de France, Dieffenbach au Val, Alsace, France
Organised by the club La Pointe y est;
- 28th to 29th of May 2022, 10 Years of Throwing in the Emiglia Romana, Montale Rangone, Italy
Organised by the club Gli Orsi (Elena Gigante)
- 4th to 5th of June 2022, French Championship in Knife and Axe Throwing, Henvic, Brittany, France
The French National Championship (FFLC) will be organised by the club Les Korrigans du Wic (details).
- 4th of June 2022, Grand Prix of the W Club, Beaver City, Strážek, Czech Republic
The traditional cup of the Western Club. The W Club is an active member of the EuroThrowers, and in 2013 held the European Championship. Events are in traditional western disciplines like lasso roping, and of course knife throwing and axe throwing (rules).
Please enquire for more information.
- 8th to 10th of July 2022, UK Championship, Huthwaite, England
The KATTA UK National Championship will be held again on Dan Mosley's beautiful grounds.
- 9th to 10th of July 2022, Championnat des Portes de Bretagne, Vitré, France
Organised by the club Les Lames de l'Hermine
- 15th to 17th of July 2022, German Championship in Double Bit Axe Throwing, Heilbronn, Germany
Organised by the Neckarwölfe;
Details and Tickets;
- 29th to 31st of July 2022, UKAT Cup 2022, Carpi, Italy
The Italian Championship, organised by Mauro Magnanini, is again held under UKAT rules.
(UKAT differs from the standard rules for example in the axe distances, and in that true no-spin is not allowed in rotational events.)
- 29th to 31st of July 2022, IKTHOF Championship, Pembroke, Ontario, Canada
Organised by Ward Wright
- 17th of September 2022, Czech Championship in Knife and Axe Throwing, Kamenice (near Brno), Czech Republic
Organised by W-Club
Details see Czech calendar
- Country-specific calendars of knife throwing and axe throwing events:
Italy: Scuola Italiana Lancio Coltelli ed Asce (several local chapters), Associazione Lanciatori Sportivi Italia
Switzerland: Schweizer Werfer Vereinigung
France: Calendrier Rencontres de Lancer, and Couteau Country Club
Czech Republic: Clubs Naja and W-Club
England: The KATTA UK calendar includes important USA events.
Russia: Comprehensive list by Ivan Dolgikh at Metatel.su
; also at Iron Century club
- Please contact us if you want to organise an event yourself.
- Subscribe to our newsletter to keep up to date.
To promote the exchange between axe- and knife throwers, in 2001 the European Throwing Club Flying Blades (Eurothrowers) started the "Big Throwers Meeting / World and European Championship". This event has since been established as the both the central annual competition and relaxed and friendly meetup for throwers from all over Europe and the world, and is assigned to a different country each year.
If you are interested in organising the event in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.
In September 2008, representatives from 4 European countries negotiated a common set of competition rules. After a revision in 2010, those are used in most international European competitions:
Standard European Knife and Axe throwing rules
There are 5-10 meetings each year in Europe. For only a handful of them we have reports/pictures collected here.
- The World Championship 2020 was moved to 2023 due to the pandemic. In our competition counting, there are now three coronavirus leap years. Rules 2022
- German Open Championship Knife & Tomahawk in Mengerskirchen (September 2019) - results and group photo
- 19th Big Throwers Meeting / World Championship in Knife Throwing and Axe Throwing in Newark/England (August 2019)
- 18th Big Throwers Meeting / World Championship in Knife Throwing and Axe Throwing in Rýmařov/Czech Republic (August 2018)
- 17th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Knife Throwing and Axe Throwing in Alsómocsolád/Hungary (September 2017)
- 16th Big Throwers Meeting / World Championship in Knife Throwing and Axe Throwing in Maniago/Italy (July 2016)
- 1st Rigac Cup in Alsómocsolád, Hungary (September 2015) - Reports and photos by the organiser and by Russian and Czech participants
- 15th Big Throwers Meeting / World Championship in Knife Throwing and Axe Throwing in Huthwaite, England (August 2015)
- 14th Big Throwers Meeting / World Championship in Knife Throwing and Axe Throwing in Callac, France (August 2014)
- 13th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Nivnice, Czech Republic (September 2013)
- 1st Swiss Knife Throwing Meeting, Hölstein, Switzerland (September 2013)
- 12th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Forni Avoltri, Italy (September 2012)
- Sixth Martial Arts East-West Open, Saint Petersburg, Russia (April 2012)
- 11th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Herrischried, Germany (September 2011)
- Fifth Martial Arts East-West Open, Saint Petersburg, Russia (April 2011)
- 10th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Rome, Italy (September 2010)
- Silver Knife Competition, Moscow, Russia (June 2010)
- Thrower Meetings in Russia, Summary 2009
- Ninth Big European Throwers Meeting, in Villeflambeau, France (September 2009)
- First May Throwers Meeting, Kacice, Czech Republic (May 2009)
- Eighth Big European Throwers Meeting, in Chomutov, Czech Republic (September 2008)
- First Ranch throwers meeting in St. Roman, Austria (July 2008)
- First French Knife Throwing Championship near Marseilles, France (June 2008)
- Eighth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2008)
- Thrower meeting with 100 participants, Moscow, May 2008
- Seventh Big European Thrower Meeting, Erlangen, Germany (September 2007)
- Third Thrower Meeting in Pullman City, Germany (August 2007)
- Thrower meeting (many events) in Kladno, Czech Republic (May 2007)
- First Big Throwers Meeting in Grenoble, France (September 2006)
- Sixth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2006)
- Second Big Thrower Meeting in Pullman City, Germany (October 2005)
- Fifth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2005)
- First Thrower Meeting near Marseilles, France (April 2005)
- First Big Thrower Meeting near Bayonne, France (October 2004)
- First Thrower Meeting in Pullman City, Germany (June 2004)
- Fourth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2004)
- Third Big Throwers Meeting in Müncheberg/Berlin, Germany (August 2003)
- Third Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2003)
- Second Big Throwers Meeting in Müncheberg/Berlin, Germany (August/September 2002)
- Second Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2002)
- First Big Throwers Meeting in Müncheberg/Berlin, Germany (September 2001)
- First Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2001)
- Knife and Axe Throwing kick off meeting in Kinsau, Germany (June 2001)
- For the early years starting in 2001, find more reports and pictures on our German site