There are many meetings and contests where one can meet fellow knife- and axe-throwers. Throwzini
has an overview of the meetings in the United States, while Axtwerfen.de
cover Europe primary. (If you know of any meeting, please send us an email.)
The largest event in Europe has so far always been the Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship
For many competitions, the standard European Knife and Axe Throwing Rules
Do have a look at the pictures in our reports
on past meetings.
If you are interested in "throwing" a meeting in your country, or are just curious, join the Eurothrowers
A very important resource are of course are of course the pages of the European Throwing Club "Flying Blades" (Eurothrowers)
- 16th of March, 2013, Spring Meeting of Knife and Axe, Poggio Mirteto, Italy
Organised by seasoned competition participant Stefano Cristini, this event will be held according to European Standard Rules, with the folowing deviations: no sharp knives allowed, special rules for the long distance event.
More information (SILCA)
- 11th-14th of April 2013, Seventh Martial Arts Olympics East-West Open, St. Petersburg, Russia
At the seventh "Martial Arts Olympics East-West Open", knife throwing is one of th 39 disciplines. Several thousand participants are expected. The knife throwing event is accompanied by the Knife Throwing Association for Saint Petersburg (a member of EuroThrowers; you probably know the president, Alexander Morozov, from European Championships). International participation is encouraged.
Information in English available at the International Martial Arts Confederation (IMAC)
- 29th to 20th of June 2013, White Nights summer tournament, St. Petersburg, Russia
The Saint Petersburg Federation of Knife Throwing holds a summer tournament called “White Nights”. It is a fine opportunity to see the phenomenon of twilight all night and visit the city. The guests will find friendly atmosphere and assistance in resolving of any difficulties.
Contact: email, facebook
- 7th/8th of September 2013, "Silver Knife" Knife Throwing Competition, Moscow, Russia
For this established competition, more than 100 knife throwers from Russia and beyond are expected. Throwing distances for men are 5m, 7m and 9m, for women 3m and 5m. Since it is not allowed to bring knives to Russia, the simplest solution is to buy or borrow some once getting there.
For more information, registration and accomodation please contact (in English or Russian) Igor Lukash at email@example.com. Please plan ahead, as getting a tourist visa for Russia will involve some waiting.
- 13th to 15th September 2013, Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship, Nivnice, Czech Republic
The biggest European knife and axe throwing event each year.
- There are several more knife thrower meetings in the Czech Republic this year. For most of them, the rules and details are available in English! Some events are the Spring Price of the W-Club, 27th to 29th of April 2013 in Beaver City, the Botas' Championship (20th of July 2013) in Litobratrice near the Austrian border, and the Kelt's days in September 2013 in Chomutov near the German border.
For details see the list at Naja club.
- Other countries:
Italy: Associazione Lanciatori Sportivi Italia, Scuola Italiana Lancio Coltelli ed Asce
Czech Republic: list at Naja club
Russia: lists at Patriot club (more than 15 meetings! / English translation) or Iron Century club.
- Please contact us if you want to organise an event yourself.
- Subscribe to our newsletter to keep up to date.
To promote the exchange between axe- and knife throwers in Europe, in 2001 the European Throwing Club Flying Blades (Eurothrowers) started the "Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship". The meeting has since been established as the central annual competition and meeting place for throwers from all over Europe, and is assigned to a different country each year.
If you are interested in organising the event in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.
In September 2008, representatives from 4 European countries negotiated a common set of competition rules. After a revision in 2010, those are used in most international European competitions:
Standard European Knife and Axe throwing rules
There are 5-10 meetings each year in Europe. For only a handful of them we have reports/pictures collected here.
- 12th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Forni Avoltri, Italy (September 2012)
- Sixth Martial Arts East-West Open, St. Petersburg, Russia (April 2012)
- 11th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Herrischried, Germany (September 2011)
- Fifth Martial Arts East-West Open, St. Petersburg, Russia (April 2011)
- 10th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Rome, Italy (September 2010)
- Silver Knife Competition, Moscow, Russia (June 2010)
- Thrower Meetings in Russia, Summary 2009
- Ninth Big European Throwers Meeting, in Villeflambeau, France (September 2009)
- First May Throwers Meeting, Kacice, Czech Republic (May 2009)
- Eighth Big European Throwers Meeting, in Chomutov, Czech Republic (September 2008)
- First Ranch throwers meeting in St. Roman, Austria (July 2008)
- First French Knife Throwing Championship near Marseilles, France (June 2008)
- Eighth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2008)
- Thrower meeting with 100 participants, Moscow, May 2008
- Seventh Big European Thrower Meeting, Erlangen, Germany (September 2007)
- Third Thrower Meeting in Pullman City, Germany (August 2007)
- Thrower meeting (many events) in Kladno, Czech Republic (May 2007)
- First Big Throwers Meeting in Grenoble, France (September 2006)
- Sixth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2006)
- Second Big Thrower Meeting in Pullman City, Germany (October 2005)
- Fifth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2005)
- First Thrower Meeting near Marseilles, France (April 2005)
- First Big Thrower Meeting near Bayonne, France (October 2004)
- First Thrower Meeting in Pullman City, Germany (June 2004)
- Fourth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2004)
- Third Big Throwers Meeting in Müncheberg/Berlin, Germany (August 2003)
- Third Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2003)
- Second Big Throwers Meeting in Müncheberg/Berlin, Germany (August/September 2002)
- Second Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2002)
- First Big Throwers Meeting in Müncheberg/Berlin, Germany (September 2001)
- First Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2001)
- Knife and Axe Throwing kick off meeting in Kinsau, Germany (June 2001)
- For the early years starting in 2001, find more reports and pictures on our German site