There are many meetings and contests where one can meet fellow knife- and axe-throwers. Throwzini
has an overview of the meetings in the United States, while Axtwerfen.de
cover Europe primary. (If you know of any meeting, please send us an email.)
The largest event in Europe has so far always been the Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship
For many competitions, the standard European Knife and Axe Throwing Rules
Do have a look at the pictures in our reports
on past meetings.
If you are interested in "throwing" a meeting in your country, or are just curious, join the Eurothrowers
The European Throwing Club "Flying Blades" (Eurothrowers)
is of course another very important source. Among other things, they published a best-practice handbook on how to organise throwing competitions
- 20-22nd of February 2015, Spring-Competition in the Bohemian Paradise, Czech Republic
Staney Havel of the W-Club marks the start of the throwing-season with this spring fling near the famous protected area in the Czech Republic. Place: Cultur house in Veliš, near Jičín. Rules: Knife 3,5,6m; Axe 4,5,6m; Additional events: Start at 3/4m, work your way back by 50cm (both feet in 50cm zone); Starting fee 300CZK; Accomodation in Jičín (do ask Stany to help you there). Targets and throwing tools according to European Standard Rules. Afterwards possibility for archery fun.
Details in Czech
- 14th of March 2015, Championship of SILCA club, Poggio Mirteto, Italy
Organised by seasoned competition participant Stefano Cristini, the event will be the national Championship of the SILCA club.
For rules and details see the page of the (SILCA). (Long distance according to European Standard Rules, precision events in a modified walk back mode, rest special rules.)
- 24th of April 2015, Ninth Martial Arts Olympics East-West Open, Saint Petersburg, Russia
At the "Martial Arts Olympics East-West Open", knife throwing is one of the 39 disciplines. Several thousand participants are expected overall. The knife throwing competition is accompanied by the Knife Throwing Association for Saint Petersburg (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.Ъ) (you probably know the president, Alexander Morozov, from European Championships). International participation is encouraged.
Information in English available at the International Martial Arts Confederation (IMAC)
- 16th of May 2015, European Championship of the Unifight Federation, Kishinev, Moldova
This is the European Championship in knife and axe throwing of the Russian Unifight martial arts federation, with knife throwing as one part. Knife throwing distances are 3m, 5m, 7m and 9m, knives are provided.
For more details, contact Роман Цуркану.
- 5th-7th of June 2015, Cup of the W Club, Beaver City, Strážek, Czech Republic
The traditional cup of the Western Club. The W Club is an active member of the EuroThrowers, and in 2013 held the European Championship. Events are in traditional western disciplines like lasso roping (Czech national championship!), and of course knife throwing and axe throwing (schedule).
Please enquire for more information.
- Weekend of the 22nd August 2015, World Championship / 15th Big Throwers Meeting, Huthwaite, Nottinghamshire, UK
The biggest European knife and axe throwing event each year.
- 26th of September 2015, Rigac Cup, Alsómocsolád, Hungary
The first Hungarian Knife Throwers Meeting and national Championship is organised by EuroThrowers-member János Kohl. International guests are very much invited, and will be ranked together with the Hungarian participants. The competitions are held according to European standard rules.
Janos speaks English, and is happy to help you with any questions.
Full Details in English
- 24th of October 2015, Virtual Backyard Throwers Open International Championship
This is a distributed Championship: Knife throwers from around the world are invited to hold a local thrower competition on this day, and submit the results to be included in the consolidated ranking. It's Donn Walton (USA) who runs this effort in the fine tradtion of "virtual competitions".
- Country-specific lists:
Italy: Associazione Lanciatori Sportivi Italia, Scuola Italiana Lancio Coltelli ed Asce (meetings in Modena, Venezia, Roma)
Switzerland: Schweizer Werfer Vereinigung
Czech Republic: list at Naja club
Russia: Comprehensive list by Ivan Dolgikh at Metatel.su (2015 in English); also at Iron Century club
- Please contact us if you want to organise an event yourself.
- Subscribe to our newsletter to keep up to date.
To promote the exchange between axe- and knife throwers, in 2001 the European Throwing Club Flying Blades (Eurothrowers) started the "Big Throwers Meeting / World and European Championship". This event has since been established as the both the central annual competition and relaxed and friendly meetup for throwers from all over Europe and the world, and is assigned to a different country each year.
If you are interested in organising the event in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.
In September 2008, representatives from 4 European countries negotiated a common set of competition rules. After a revision in 2010, those are used in most international European competitions:
Standard European Knife and Axe throwing rules
There are 5-10 meetings each year in Europe. For only a handful of them we have reports/pictures collected here.
- 15th Big Throwers Meeting / World Championship in Knife Throwing and Axe Throwing in Huthwaite, England (August 2015)
- 14th Big Throwers Meeting / World Championship in Knife Throwing and Axe Throwing in Callac, France (August 2014)
- 13th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Nivnice, Czech Republic (September 2013)
- 1st Swiss Knife Throwing Meeting, Hölstein, Switzerland (September 2013)
- 12th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Forni Avoltri, Italy (September 2012)
- Sixth Martial Arts East-West Open, Saint Petersburg, Russia (April 2012)
- 11th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Herrischried, Germany (September 2011)
- Fifth Martial Arts East-West Open, Saint Petersburg, Russia (April 2011)
- 10th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Rome, Italy (September 2010)
- Silver Knife Competition, Moscow, Russia (June 2010)
- Thrower Meetings in Russia, Summary 2009
- Ninth Big European Throwers Meeting, in Villeflambeau, France (September 2009)
- First May Throwers Meeting, Kacice, Czech Republic (May 2009)
- Eighth Big European Throwers Meeting, in Chomutov, Czech Republic (September 2008)
- First Ranch throwers meeting in St. Roman, Austria (July 2008)
- First French Knife Throwing Championship near Marseilles, France (June 2008)
- Eighth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2008)
- Thrower meeting with 100 participants, Moscow, May 2008
- Seventh Big European Thrower Meeting, Erlangen, Germany (September 2007)
- Third Thrower Meeting in Pullman City, Germany (August 2007)
- Thrower meeting (many events) in Kladno, Czech Republic (May 2007)
- First Big Throwers Meeting in Grenoble, France (September 2006)
- Sixth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2006)
- Second Big Thrower Meeting in Pullman City, Germany (October 2005)
- Fifth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2005)
- First Thrower Meeting near Marseilles, France (April 2005)
- First Big Thrower Meeting near Bayonne, France (October 2004)
- First Thrower Meeting in Pullman City, Germany (June 2004)
- Fourth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2004)
- Third Big Throwers Meeting in Müncheberg/Berlin, Germany (August 2003)
- Third Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2003)
- Second Big Throwers Meeting in Müncheberg/Berlin, Germany (August/September 2002)
- Second Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2002)
- First Big Throwers Meeting in Müncheberg/Berlin, Germany (September 2001)
- First Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2001)
- Knife and Axe Throwing kick off meeting in Kinsau, Germany (June 2001)
- For the early years starting in 2001, find more reports and pictures on our German site