There are many meetings and contests where one can meet fellow knife- and axe-throwers. Throwzini
has an overview of the meetings in the United States, while Axtwerfen.de
cover Europe primary. (If you know of any meeting, please send us an email.)
The largest event in Europe has so far always been the Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship
For many competitions, the standard European Knife and Axe Throwing Rules
Do have a look at the pictures in our reports
on past meetings.
If you are interested in "throwing" a meeting in your country, or are just curious, join the Eurothrowers
The European Throwing Club "Flying Blades" (Eurothrowers)
is of course another very important source. Among other things, they published a best-practice handbook on how to organise throwing competitions
- 20th-21st of May 2017, Italian National Championship of AICS, Poggio Mirteto, Italy
Arranged by seasoned competition organiser Stefano Cristini, the event will be the national Championship of the SILCA club, organised together with AICS.
The competition is open to all throwers, for non-Italian participants there will be a special ranking. The registration fee is 30€.
Registration and details available on request at SILCA.
Rules and Agenda in English
- 2nd-4th of June 2017, Cup of the W Club, Beaver City, Strážek, Czech Republic
The traditional cup of the Western Club. The W Club is an active member of the EuroThrowers, and in 2013 held the European Championship. Events are in traditional western disciplines like lasso roping (Czech national championship!), and of course knife throwing and axe throwing (rules).
Please enquire for more information.
- 9th-11th of June 2017, UK KATTA Championships, Huthwaite, Great Britain
The central knife throwing gathering for Great Britain, organised by KATTA UK, will be held in Huthwaite at Dan Mosleys beautiful place, where also the 2015 EuroThrowers World Championship took place.
The scores of non-UK residents do not qualify to be entered in the UK records, but will receive special prizes.
Contact John Taylor for more information; European Standard Rules will be employed;
- 15th-18th of June 2017, World Championship in Double Axe Throwing, Laubach-Münster, Germany
The Asgard Throwers decided to go big, and this year host the World Championship in Double Axe throwing on their premises.
Registration and rules (in English)
- January to September 2017, Open Italian Knife and Axe Throwing Tournament, five locations, Italy
Five Italian throwing clubs (Giusto Verso, Compagnia del Coltello, Roosters, Salento Throwers, I Lupi) have grouped together to hold an open Italian tournament, taking place at five different locations throughout the year (event schedule). International guests are very much invited, and in the individual events there is of course a common ranking.
Notable stages are the Trofeo Game Fair, which will be held on June 2-4 2017 in Grossetto together with a big outdoor, animal and hunting fair, and the final event with award ceremony September 9-10 2017 in Campogalliano.
More detailed information: See website of the Compagnia del Coltello, their facebook page , or contact Mauro Magnanini.
- 1st-3rd of September 2017, European Championship / 17th Big Throwers Meeting, Alsómocsolád, Hungary
The biggest European knife and axe throwing event each year. Do not miss!
- 9th-10th September 2017, "Silver Knife" Knife Throwing Competition, Moscow, Russia
For this established competition, more than 100 knife throwers from Russia and beyond are expected. The competition is the fourth and final stage of the "Cup of Russia". Throwing distances for men are 5m, 7m and 9m, for women 3m, 5m and 7m. Special rectangular targets, the rules (in Russian only) are close to EuroThrowers standard rules. Since it is not allowed to bring knives to Russia, the simplest solution is to buy or borrow some once getting there.
For more information, registration and accommodation please contact (in English or Russian) Igor Lukash at email@example.com. Please plan ahead, as getting a tourist visa for Russia will involve some waiting.
- There are several more knife thrower meetings in the Czech Republic this year. For many of them, the rules and details are available in English! Some events are 22nd of April 2017, the Spring Price of the W-Club, in the Western Town "Stonetown" (halfway between Praha and Brno), 17th of June 2017 the Silesian Knife Throwing Tournament in Kravaře, and 9th of September 2017, the Czech Championship in Knife and Axe Throwing in Suchdol (near Ostrava).
- In Switzerland, the clubs of the Schweizer Werfervereinigung will host several competitions (18th of March, 1st of July, 19th of August, 7.-8. October), details to be published.
- Country-specific lists:
Italy: Associazione Lanciatori Sportivi Italia, Scuola Italiana Lancio Coltelli ed Asce (several local chapters)
Switzerland: Schweizer Werfer Vereinigung
Czech Republic: Clubs Naja and W-Club
Russia: Comprehensive list by Ivan Dolgikh at Metatel.su (2017 in English); also at Iron Century club
England: The KATTA UK offers regular Knife Club throwing days.
- Please contact us if you want to organise an event yourself.
- Subscribe to our newsletter to keep up to date.
To promote the exchange between axe- and knife throwers, in 2001 the European Throwing Club Flying Blades (Eurothrowers) started the "Big Throwers Meeting / World and European Championship". This event has since been established as the both the central annual competition and relaxed and friendly meetup for throwers from all over Europe and the world, and is assigned to a different country each year.
If you are interested in organising the event in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.
In September 2008, representatives from 4 European countries negotiated a common set of competition rules. After a revision in 2010, those are used in most international European competitions:
Standard European Knife and Axe throwing rules
There are 5-10 meetings each year in Europe. For only a handful of them we have reports/pictures collected here.
- 16th Big Throwers Meeting / World Championship in Knife Throwing and Axe Throwing in Maniago/Italy (July 2016
- 1st Rigac Cup in Alsómocsolád, Hungary (September 2015) - Reports and photos by the organiser and by Russian and Czech participants
- 15th Big Throwers Meeting / World Championship in Knife Throwing and Axe Throwing in Huthwaite, England (August 2015)
- 14th Big Throwers Meeting / World Championship in Knife Throwing and Axe Throwing in Callac, France (August 2014)
- 13th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Nivnice, Czech Republic (September 2013)
- 1st Swiss Knife Throwing Meeting, Hölstein, Switzerland (September 2013)
- 12th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Forni Avoltri, Italy (September 2012)
- Sixth Martial Arts East-West Open, Saint Petersburg, Russia (April 2012)
- 11th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Herrischried, Germany (September 2011)
- Fifth Martial Arts East-West Open, Saint Petersburg, Russia (April 2011)
- 10th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Rome, Italy (September 2010)
- Silver Knife Competition, Moscow, Russia (June 2010)
- Thrower Meetings in Russia, Summary 2009
- Ninth Big European Throwers Meeting, in Villeflambeau, France (September 2009)
- First May Throwers Meeting, Kacice, Czech Republic (May 2009)
- Eighth Big European Throwers Meeting, in Chomutov, Czech Republic (September 2008)
- First Ranch throwers meeting in St. Roman, Austria (July 2008)
- First French Knife Throwing Championship near Marseilles, France (June 2008)
- Eighth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2008)
- Thrower meeting with 100 participants, Moscow, May 2008
- Seventh Big European Thrower Meeting, Erlangen, Germany (September 2007)
- Third Thrower Meeting in Pullman City, Germany (August 2007)
- Thrower meeting (many events) in Kladno, Czech Republic (May 2007)
- First Big Throwers Meeting in Grenoble, France (September 2006)
- Sixth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2006)
- Second Big Thrower Meeting in Pullman City, Germany (October 2005)
- Fifth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2005)
- First Thrower Meeting near Marseilles, France (April 2005)
- First Big Thrower Meeting near Bayonne, France (October 2004)
- First Thrower Meeting in Pullman City, Germany (June 2004)
- Fourth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2004)
- Third Big Throwers Meeting in Müncheberg/Berlin, Germany (August 2003)
- Third Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2003)
- Second Big Throwers Meeting in Müncheberg/Berlin, Germany (August/September 2002)
- Second Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2002)
- First Big Throwers Meeting in Müncheberg/Berlin, Germany (September 2001)
- First Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2001)
- Knife and Axe Throwing kick off meeting in Kinsau, Germany (June 2001)
- For the early years starting in 2001, find more reports and pictures on our German site