There are many meetings and contests where one can meet fellow knife- and axe-throwers. Throwzini
has an overview of the meetings in the United States, while Axtwerfen.de
cover Europe primary. (If you know of any meeting, please send us an email.)
The largest event in Europe has so far always been the Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship
For many competitions, the standard European Knife and Axe Throwing Rules
Do have a look at the pictures in our reports
on past meetings.
If you are interested in "throwing" a meeting in your country, or are just curious, join the Eurothrowers
The European Throwing Club "Flying Blades" (Eurothrowers)
is of course another very important source. Among other things, they published a best-practice handbook on how to organise throwing competitions
- 26th of April 2014, Spring Cup of the W Club, Beaver City, Czech Republic
The traditional spring cup of the Western Club. The W Club is an active member of the EuroThrowers, and in 2013 held the European Championship. Events are in traditional western disciplines like lasso roping, and of course knife throwing and axe throwing (schedule).
Please enquire for more information.
- 9th-11th of May 2014, Eighth Martial Arts Olympics East-West Open, Saint Petersburg, Russia
At the "Martial Arts Olympics East-West Open", knife throwing is one of the 39 disciplines. Several thousand participants are expected overall. The knife throwing competition is accompanied by the Knife Throwing Association for Saint Petersburg (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.Ъ) (you probably know the president, Alexander Morozov, from European Championships). International participation is encouraged.
Information in English available at the International Martial Arts Confederation (IMAC)
- 24th of Mai 2014, Bavarian Masters of Knife and Tomahawk ("Wrecking Wenzenbach")
Walter and Werner from Regensburg had quite some success in European and US competitions. Now they want to apply their knowledge, and host a throwing competition. Just some months before the World Championship, see it as a test run for the walk-back-mode employed there! There'll be a campfire, of course, and for the first time ever we will use a self-build time-taking machine to settle the timed duels!.
Find all details (travel, rules) in the English invitation.
- 21st to 24th August 2014, World Championship / 14th Big Throwers Meeting, Callac, Brittany, France
The biggest European knife and axe throwing event each year.
- 6th/7th of September 2014, "Silver Knife" Knife Throwing Competition, Moscow, Russia
For this established competition, more than 100 knife throwers from Russia and beyond are expected. Throwing distances for men are 5m, 7m and 9m, for women 3m and 5m. Since it is not allowed to bring knives to Russia, the simplest solution is to buy or borrow some once getting there. (Rules in Russian)
For more information, registration and accommodation please contact (in English or Russian) Igor Lukash at email@example.com. Please plan ahead, as getting a tourist visa for Russia will involve some waiting.
- Country-specific lists:
Italy: Associazione Lanciatori Sportivi Italia, Scuola Italiana Lancio Coltelli ed Asce (meetings in Modena, Venezia, Roma)
Czech Republic: list at Naja club
Russia: Comprehensive list by Ivan Dolgikh at Metatel.su (2014 in English); also at Iron Century club
- Please contact us if you want to organise an event yourself.
- Subscribe to our newsletter to keep up to date.
To promote the exchange between axe- and knife throwers in Europe, in 2001 the European Throwing Club Flying Blades (Eurothrowers) started the "Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship". This event has since been established as the both the central annual competition and relaxed and friendly meetup for throwers from all over Europe, and is assigned to a different country each year.
If you are interested in organising the event in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.
In September 2008, representatives from 4 European countries negotiated a common set of competition rules. After a revision in 2010, those are used in most international European competitions:
Standard European Knife and Axe throwing rules
There are 5-10 meetings each year in Europe. For only a handful of them we have reports/pictures collected here.
- 13th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Nivnice, Czech Republic (September 2013)
- 1st Swiss Knife Throwing Meeting, Hölstein, Switzerland (September 2013)
- 12th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Forni Avoltri, Italy (September 2012)
- Sixth Martial Arts East-West Open, Saint Petersburg, Russia (April 2012)
- 11th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Herrischried, Germany (September 2011)
- Fifth Martial Arts East-West Open, Saint Petersburg, Russia (April 2011)
- 10th Big Throwers Meeting / European Championship in Rome, Italy (September 2010)
- Silver Knife Competition, Moscow, Russia (June 2010)
- Thrower Meetings in Russia, Summary 2009
- Ninth Big European Throwers Meeting, in Villeflambeau, France (September 2009)
- First May Throwers Meeting, Kacice, Czech Republic (May 2009)
- Eighth Big European Throwers Meeting, in Chomutov, Czech Republic (September 2008)
- First Ranch throwers meeting in St. Roman, Austria (July 2008)
- First French Knife Throwing Championship near Marseilles, France (June 2008)
- Eighth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2008)
- Thrower meeting with 100 participants, Moscow, May 2008
- Seventh Big European Thrower Meeting, Erlangen, Germany (September 2007)
- Third Thrower Meeting in Pullman City, Germany (August 2007)
- Thrower meeting (many events) in Kladno, Czech Republic (May 2007)
- First Big Throwers Meeting in Grenoble, France (September 2006)
- Sixth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2006)
- Second Big Thrower Meeting in Pullman City, Germany (October 2005)
- Fifth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2005)
- First Thrower Meeting near Marseilles, France (April 2005)
- First Big Thrower Meeting near Bayonne, France (October 2004)
- First Thrower Meeting in Pullman City, Germany (June 2004)
- Fourth Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2004)
- Third Big Throwers Meeting in Müncheberg/Berlin, Germany (August 2003)
- Third Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2003)
- Second Big Throwers Meeting in Müncheberg/Berlin, Germany (August/September 2002)
- Second Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2002)
- First Big Throwers Meeting in Müncheberg/Berlin, Germany (September 2001)
- First Midsummer Throwers Meeting in Pottenstein, Germany (June 2001)
- Knife and Axe Throwing kick off meeting in Kinsau, Germany (June 2001)
- For the early years starting in 2001, find more reports and pictures on our German site